Erectile Dysfunction & Impotence
Erectile dysfunction, often referred to as impotence, involves the inability to have or maintain a satisfactory erection. It can be caused by physical and/or psychological factors. It is estimated that more than 2 million men in Australia suffer from impotence. Many men suffer needlessly when help is just a phone call away. The first Mens Clinic doctor will take a detailed history of your condition and suggest the most effective treatment.
Psychological causes include anxiety (commonly relating to performance), stress and relationship problems.
Physical factors include:
- Blood vessel disease (vascular) makes up the majority of physical causes. It may be arterial hardening and so narrowing of the vessel diameter and/or excess penile vein drainage/loss, high blood pressure. An erection consists of an eight times increase of blood flow into the penis so that a combination of arterial and venous disease will reduce the containment of the increased blood flow in the penis. High blood pressure commonly leads to atherosclerosis of blood vessels especially the smaller blood vessels in the penis. About 50% of insulin dependent diabetic men suffer from impotence
- Elevated cholesterol or triglycerides
- Neurological problems such as spinal trauma, multiple sclerosis and strokes
- Endocrine disease such as diabetes, hypothyroidism, testicular and pituitary gland disease
- Medications such as some antidepressants, some anti-hypertensives, some diuretics, some stomach medicines.
- Major surgery such as prostate cancer surgery, bowel and rectal cancer surgery and blood vessel surgery.
- Radiotherapy for prostate cancer and bowel cancer
- Major accidents and trauma to the penis ,pelvis ,testes or rectum
- Kidney disease and/or surgery
- Chronic alcohol intake of six or more standard drinks/day for more than 10 years results in impotence which is irreversible
- Illicit drugs such as heavy marijuana usage for many years, cocaine, heroin.
- Cigarette smoking over many years results in artery narrowing
- Peyronnie’s Disease where there is a severe bending of the penis